History

This post is also available in: Indonesian (Indonesia)

gedungsekretariatilmubedah

Brief History of Surgery Program

On 14 July 1808, Simpang Hospital (Simpangsche Hospital) (now Plaza Surabaya) was established with Besluit (a decree) from Governor-General Daendels as a Navy Hospital. In the decree, a Dutch statement reads tot logeering van een genoegzaam getaal zieken, zo Europeezen als Inlanders te doen opbouwen, en zulks aan de linker oever der groote rivier, bij de brug van campong Genting (groote rivier = K Mas) ( GH von Faber,  April 1, 1931 : Oud Soerabaia), which basically means that the hospital was intended to treat both Dutch and native people and located at the riverbank of nearby village.

Between 1933 – 1942, Mas Soetojo, dr.,was working as a medical intern in an internship program for surgery with a Dutch surgeon,  DJ Harkink, dr., Among other medical interns at that time were Kainama,dr., M.Hadin, dr., Sjahrial, dr., who were the Chirurgisch Assistant, or surgical assistants.

In 1913, a medical school was established in Surabaya based on the decree of the Dutch Governor General Number 4211, which was issued on May 8, 1913. This school was named NIAS (Nederlandsch Indische Artsen School), which later on  became the Faculty of Medicine Universitas Airlangga, and was formerly located at Jalan Kedungdoro No. 38.

On July 2, 1923, NIAS was moved from Jl. Kedungdoro No. 38 to Jl. Dharmahusada No. 7 (it is now called Jl. Mayjen. Prof. Dr. Moestopo No. 47, Surabaya)

In 1937, the design of CBZ (Central Burgelijke Ziekeninrichting) or the Civilian General Hospital was made by the Dutch Government, and the hospital  was located in Karangmenjangan. Surabaya.

Between 1942 and 1945, The Japanese military occupied Indonesia. The hospital in Karangmenjangan was taken over (at that time the hospital was half finished), and was assigned as the Naval Hospital and  was named PRSO (Poesat Roemah Sakit Oemoem) or Central General Hospital.

In 1942, NIAS in Surabaya, and STOVIA in Jakarta were both closed by the Japanese military, and in 1943, a medical school, GHS (Geneeskundige Hoogeschool), in Jakarta was reopened and its name was changed into Ika Dai Gaku that included NIAS also.

In 1945, Ika Dai Gaku was taken over by the newly proclaimed Indonesian Government and its name was changed into Pergoeroean Tinggi Kedokteran Republik Indonesia (Indonesian Higher Education for Medicine).

Suasana operasi tahun 1942 di RS Simpang dan tampak dokter Mas Soetojo mendampingi seorang ahli bedah keturunan Belanda, juga terlihat seorang perawat instrumen memakai blankon

 

Between 1945 and 1950,  Simpang Hospital dan Karangmenjangan Hospital were taken over once again by the Dutch aggressors who came back to Indonesia and the building process of the hospital continued. At that time, the head of Surgery Department was Wieberdink, dr.,who was later relocated to Jakarta and his position was given to Mas Soetojo, dr., Syahrial,dr., Kainama, dr., M. Hadin, dr., and Winoto, dr.

In 1949, the Dutch finally admitted the existence of the Indonesian Government, and at this moment  Faculteit der Geneeskunde (Faculty of Medicine) in Jakarta and Surabaya were also returned to the Indonesian Government. At this historical moment, Mas Soetojo,dr., was relocated to Malang from Surabaya ( 1945 s/d 1947 ), and during the Indonesian revolution, he stayed in Ponoorogo and became the head of RSU Ponorogo (Ponorogo General Hospital) ( 1947 until 1949 ).

In April 1950, Faculteit der Geneeskunde was changed into Fakulteit Kedokteran in Jakarta with one of its branches located in Surabaya.

In November 1, 1954, Fakulteit Kedokteran Surabaya was separated from the center in Jakarta and officially this separation marked the establishment of Faculty of Medicine Universitas Airlangga, and it was officially inaugurated by  Indonesia’s first president, Dr.Ir. Soekarno.

In 1951, a aovernment decree was issued stating that RSUP Surabaya (Surabaya Central Hospital) was changed to RSU Dr. Soetomo (Dr Soetomo Hospital) and became the partner hospital to support the educational and academic activities at Faculty of Medicine Universitas Airlangga. This hospital was then managed by the provincial government of East Java.

The heads of the Department of Surgery were respectively assigned to :

  1. From 1950 to 1961 : Prof. Mas Soetojo, dr.
  2. From 1961 to 1970 : R. Soetojo,dr.
  3. From 1970 to 1987 : Prof. Basoeki Wirjowidjojo, dr.SpBS.
  4. From 1987 to 1994 : Prof. Widjoseno Gardjito, dr. SpB, SpU
  5. From 1994 to 2001 : Prof.H.M. Sajid Darmadipura, dr., SpBS
  6. From 2001 to 2007 : Prof. Dr. Dr. med. Paul Tahalele, dr. FCTS, FInaCS.
  7. From 2007 to 2011 : Prof. Sunarto Reksoprawiro, dr. SpB(K)Onk-KL
  8. From 2011 to present : Agung Prasmono, dr. Sp.B-BTKV(K), MARS.

Since 2001, based on the Decree of Rector of Universitas Airlangga Number 8230/703/KP/2001, August 29, 2001, the Department of Surgery of Faculty of Medicine Universitas Airlangga was divided into 5 divisions:

  1. Division of Surgery which was led by Prof.Dr.Paul Tahalele, FCTS, FInaCS.
  2. Division of Orthopedic Surgery which was led by Prof.Dr. Djoko Roeshadi, dr. SpBO
  3. Division of Urologic Surgery which was led by Prof.Dr.Doddy M. Soebadi,dr.SpU
  4. Division of Neurosurgery which was led by Prof.Dr. Umar Kasan, dr. SpBS
  5. Division of Plastic Surgery which was led by Prof. Dr. Djohansyah Marzoeki, dr. SpBP

The coordinator for Medical Residency for the Specialty Program in Surgery

The program coordinators were respectively assigned to:

  1. From 1970 to 1978: Prof. Dr. AA Loedin,dr. SpB
  2. From 1978 to 1999: Prof. Martatko Marmowinoto,dr. FINACS
  3. From 1991 to 1994: Prof. Paul Tahalele,dr., FCTS, FINACS
  4. From 1994 to 2007: Prof. Sunarto Reksoprawiro,dr., SpB(K)Onk-KL, FINACS
  5. From 2007 to 2011: R. Yoga Wijayahadi, dr., SpB(K)KL, FINACS
  6. From 2011 to 2014: Dr. Heru Koesbijanto, dr., SpB-BTKV(K), FINACS
  7. From 2014 to 2016: Dr. Desak Gede Agung Suprabawati, dr. Sp.B(K) Onk.
  8. From 2016 to present: Dr. Sahudi, dr. Sp.B(K)KL.

Several surgeons were awarded as professors and became the academic staff at Faculty of Medicine Universitas Airlangga

Prof. Soetojo, dr (1951), Prof. Basoeki Wirjowidjojo, dr. (1974), Prof. Widjoseno Gardjito, dr. (1988)., Prof. Dr. AA Loedin, dr., Prof. Dr. Djohansjah Marzoeki, dr., Prof. R. Martatko Marmowinoto, dr. (1994), Prof. I.P. Sukarna, dr., Prof. Dr. IGD.Sukardja, dr., Prof. Dr. Djoko Roeshadi, dr., Prof. Dr. Puruhito, dr., Prof. Dr. Bambang Prijambodo, dr., Prof. Dr. Doddy M. Soebadi, dr., Prof. Sajid Darmadipura, dr.(1999), Prof. Umar Kasan, dr., Prof. Dr. Dr. med.Paul Tahalele, dr. (2002)., Prof. Sunarto Reksoprawiro, dr. (2005), Prof. Soetamto Wibowo, dr., SpB-KBD (20)